Established in 1961, Jakar Higher Secondary School is one of the oldest schools in Bhutan. It is located on a beautiful undulating slope opposite to Jakar Dzong. It is two kilometers away from Chamkhar town at a north west direction. The school occupies an area of 35 acres. The tram number is 749. The school takes its name from the nearby Jakar Dzong.
Jakar Dzong was founded by Zhabdrung Ngawang Namgyal's great-grandfather Ngagi Wangchuk, who was an eminent Drukpa Lama in the 16th century. After he had founded Trongsa Dzong, Ngagi Wangchuk came to Bumthang where, with the help of donors, he started to build a monastery. One day he saw a white bird flying over the construction site towards the ridge where the dzong now stands, and there the bird nested. Ngagi Wangchuk took this to be a good omen and decided to change the location of the monastery. In 1549 the construction was completed and he named it 'The monastery of the white bird'.
In September 25th, 1961 the school was founded as a Government Secondary School. It was upgraded to a Junior High School in 1983. In 1995, the Education Department further upgraded the school in to a High School. Again it was upgraded into Higher Secondary School in 2002, offering Arts and Commerce streams. Science stream was introduced in 2004. In 2014, the school was among the 19 schools to be granted autonomous status. As of today, the school has classes ranging from IX to XII.
The school is committed to inspire individuals towards perpetual enhancement of quality education to serve TSA-WA-SUM with selfless dedication and loyalty.
Will update soon...
It is located on a beautiful undulating slope towards south-west direction from Jakar Dzong. It is about 2.6 kilometers away from Chamkhar town at a south-west direction.